Because teeth grinding normally occurs during sleep, many people don’t realize they have a problem. Instead, they may notice headaches, sore jaw, or worn teeth and wonder why. Dr. Matthew Wolfe in Rochester Hills, MI has advanced training in the diagnosis and treatment of bruxism (teeth grinding).
Identifying the Signs Teeth Grinding
Few clinicians are trained to properly identify, diagnose and treat temporomandibular joint disorders (TMD). Dr. Wolfe has completed post-graduate training at the Dawson Academy in the diagnosis and treatment of TMD, to bring patients in Rochester Hills, MI the highest level of care.
Signs and Symptoms of Teeth Grinding
- Worn, flat or chipped teeth
- Abraded tooth enamel
- Sensitive teeth
- Jaw pain or tightness in the jaw muscles
- Facial pain
- Cuts or sores on the inside cheek
Treatment for Teeth Grinding
- When left untreated, bruxism can cause significant damage to teeth and contribute to painful symptoms like headaches and jaw pain. Stress is one of the primary causes for teeth grinding. Lifestyle changes and relaxation techniques may help to reduce or stop your teeth grinding. In many cases, though, professional treatment is needed to correct the source of the problem and repair damage caused teeth grinding.
- Bite Guard – Dr. Wolfe frequently uses a teeth grinding mouth guard, or bite guard, to stop teeth grinding. A bite guard is a customized, removable appliance similar to a sports mouth guard that is made to fit over your teeth and prevent teeth grinding. Most bite guards are worn at night, however some patients find wear their teeth grinding mouth guards during high stress situations.
- Bite Alignment Therapy – Dr. Wolfe provides a comprehensive and broad range of services to correct the causes of teeth grinding. Malocclusion, or improper alignment of the teeth, is one cause for teeth grinding. Teeth can be corrected to proper alignment through the use of invisible braces, dental crowns, dental veneers or dental implants.
- Cosmetic Dentistry to Repair Damage – Once the teeth grinding causes have been successfully treated, the dentist will focus on repairing damage caused by teeth grinding. Chronic teeth grinding can leave teeth worn, chipped or broken. Dr. Wolfe may repair teeth using dental crowns, porcelain veneers or cosmetic bonding.
Schedule an Appointment to Stop Teeth Grinding
If you or someone you love is suffering from teeth grinding, schedule a consultation with Rochester Hills, MI dentist, Dr. Wolfe. A simple bite analysis and consultation can reveal whether or not your teeth grinding is caused by TMJ dysfunction and you can be well on your way to much needed relief. Call 248.243.1039 or request an appointment online.